Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Favourite Reads of 2015




In no particular order, these are my 10 favourite YA & MG reads for this year.


1. The Boy Who Drew the Future by Rhian Ivory

Why I loved it: So haunting, with great historical detail woven into the mystery. It sweeps you right along to a powerful ending where the two narratives intersect.




2. The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich

Why I loved it: I've never read anything quite as disturbing or unique as this. The characters, the premise, even the format, are so skilfully disjointed that it keeps you guessing and second-guessing everything, right to the last page.








3. The D'Evil Diaries by Tatum Flynn

DuplicityWhy I loved it: Jinx is an absolutely adorable main character, especially for a demon, and the situations he gets into with Tommy on their adventure through Hell are hilarious.







4. Duplicity by N K Traver

Why I loved it: Duplicity has basically everything you'd want in a YA cyber thriller - great characters, intense plot, high stakes etc. But what really made this stand out was the humour and grit, and the main character was kind of a loveable asshole. It was basically my ideal book.








5. The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

Why I loved it: The voice really hooked me, along with a fairly bizarre plot and rather dreamy cast of characters. 









6. Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Why I loved it: The same reasons everyone else on the planet seems to love it - Simon Vs was funny, romantic, and it made my heart happy. 









7. When My Heart Was Wicked by Tricia Stirling

Why I loved it: I would compare it to The Accident Season in a lot of ways - the dreamy tone, the lyrical writing and off-beat characters. It's one of those books you think about for a long time after reading.







8. Seed by Lisa Heathfield

Why I loved it: Truly, truly creepy, with an extra dollop of creepy on the side.











9. The One Thing by Marci Lyn Curtis

Why I loved it: This was such a great blend of contemporary and magical realism, with characters I fell in love with and a swoony romance.









10. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Why I loved it: This was such old school geeky goodness! I listened to it on audiobook, and Wil Wheaton's reading of it was just perfect.






The Lost and the Found

ETA (because I'm an idiot and just realised I hadn't included one of my definite faves...)

11. The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke

Why I loved it: Like all of Cat Clarke's books, it was heart-wrenching and gut-clenching and fist-bitey from start to finish, and with twists you'll never see coming.


What were your favourites this year?

Kat x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.