Monday, 12 January 2015

Horror binge!

Howdy.

After finishing my first draft of the new WIP in December, I went on a bit of a horror-reading kick over Christmas and into the new year. I managed to get to quite a few of those books I posted about at Halloween, plus an adult horror that I'm just getting into now. These were the YA ones I read:

 

(Click on the link to the Halloween post above for the summaries/buy links and stuff.)

Although 3 of the 4 had a supernatural element, they were all really different, which was what I was looking for -- a look at the scope of YA horror that's being published right now -- and I definitely like what I'm seeing. 3 of them also happen to be UKYA titles, which wasn't intentional, but pleases me anyway.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to writing horror (although I do tend to write toward the darker end of the thriller/fantasy spectrum...) and it seemed like now, when I have a decent reading binge window, would be a good time to get caught up on what's out there at the moment.

The adult horror book I'm reading is Joe Hill's HEART SHAPED BOX, and I have to say that I'm really loving it -- which takes away some of the guilt I feel for stepping away from my YA reading pile. It was also a bargain at £1.99 from a discount bookshop, so it would have been churlish to say no. 

This is going to be my last binge-read before I focus completely on revisions for a few weeks, so I will savour every terrifying, gruesome word. It should tide me over until Dawn Kurtagich's THE DEAD HOUSE comes out in August, anyway. (I seriously can't wait for that book!)

For now...

Kat out x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.