Thursday, 6 November 2014

Nanowrimo like a mofo, and actually being social like a human

It seems like I was lying in the garden swearing at crickets just a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm dressed head to toe -- literally -- in fleece.

(Wasn't that a nice, super-British intro?)

Anyway. Happy November. A few things to talk about, starting with the most writerly, and ending with the least.

1. For the first time ever, I'm taking part in Nanowrimo. This is National Novel Writing Month to the uninitiated, and it means I, along with the entire internet, it seems, have committed to write 50,000 words of a novel during the month of November.

Now, I'll start by being upfront about 2 things: 1) I don't know if I'll do it. I'm on track at the time of writing this, but... *shrugs* I'm not exactly speedy at first drafts. 2) I'm splitting the 50k between 2 manuscripts, because I don't think I have 50,000 words left in the one I'm mostly working on. So, according to the rules of the game, I can't actually WIN Nanowrimo, even if I complete my 50k. So at best I'll be an also-ran, but still -- it'll be a big achievement if I finish it. That said, I have some time off work, so I can stay up really late and write during the witching hours when pretty much all of my words are made. The words, they mostly come at night... mostly.



...Yeah. Anyway, wish me luck.

2) I should probably have started with this one because it's a thank you, but THANK YOU to everyone who entered my Halloween giveaway. The winners have been randomly selected, and the signed copies of Blackfin Sky were mailed earlier this week. They're basically flying through the air on teeny tiny broomsticks right now.

3) I got 2 particularly amazing reviews of Blackfin Sky this week - one on Geek Syndicate, and a reader review on The Guardian's website. There was much Snoopy-dancing, trust me. I also got to do a Dear Teen Me feature, which was pretty cool, and has some pictures of me as a teenager in case you're curious about what kind of dork I was.

4) I actually left the house to do more than grocery shopping! I recently saw Chevelle play in Manchester (AWESOME)...

Chevelle. I know, it could be anyone, but my phone camera sucks ass.
...and went to An Evening with Noel Fielding (INSANE and AWESOME) in Llandudno.
Noel Fielding. Also the head of the guy in front of me.
So that's what I've been up to. Now heading back into my writing cave to carve out some more nano-words.

Peace out, yo.

K x

2 comments:

  1. Today, you're my hero. I mean, most days you can be my hero, but today it's for the Aliens reference.

    NaNoing right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Aliens high-five* Thanks :) Just added you to my nano buddy list, btw.

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.