Friday, 31 January 2014

How I keep in touch with my teen self - guest post by Clare Davidson


Hello! I'm so thrilled to be hosting author Clare Davidson on the release day of her latest novel, BROKEN BARGAIN, and giving you a chance to win some awesome goodies through the rafflecopter at the end of this post. 

Having known Clare online for quite a while, I know she gives excellent guest post, so I asked her to write about how she keeps in touch with her teen self, and how that impacts on her writing. Here's what she had to say...

Wow, okay, this topic is tougher than I thought.

When Kat first suggested this title for a guest post, my initial reaction was, “ace, I can cheat and say ‘I never grew up’ and include a cool quote from Neil Gaiman.” 


I’m sure you’ll agree that would have been a short and lame guest post. It took me around thirty seconds to come to the same conclusion.

So I had to sit down and think about it. I mean, really think about it. How do I keep in touch with my teen self?

The truth is I’m not sure I do.

I didn’t really enjoy the majority of my teen years. I was bullied at school and almost changed high schools during my exams. I would have done, if I hadn’t decided to put my future ahead of a bunch of bullies. Exams were hard, first G.C.S.E.s and then A’Levels.

University was supposed to be a fresh start, but I spend my first year horribly home sick. Looking back retroactively, my biggest impression is that I was easily overwhelmed, overly emotional and desperate to conform to what other people wanted me to be. Yes, even those bullies. I even tried to be friends with some of them in high school. More fool me.

I was actually pretty happy to stop being a teenager and to start acting like an adult.

However I DO keep in touch with teen trends.

First of all I read (and enjoy) teen fiction. I actually prefer a good teen read to a novel aimed at an adult audience most of the time. I also watch movies and TV shows aimed at teens. Again, I enjoy them and I’m not afraid to admit it.

I’d listen to my pupils when they told me the hobbies they enjoyed, their aspirations and what they found hard about being a teen.

One of the reasons why teaching is so rewarding is because you get to watch your pupils grow and mature from children into young adults. It’s a progression that I aim to show in my novels, because it isn’t always easy, but the end result is pretty much always amazing.



As a closing note, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I disagree with Neil Gaiman. Growing up ISN’T overrated. Sure it’s hard, but being a child and then a teen is just the start.

Thanks for hosting me on release day, Kat.

Thank you, Clare, for the great guest post! 

You can connect with Clare via her website, on twitter, on facebook or goodreads. You can also sign up to her new releases mailing list. Don't forget to enter the rafflecopter giveaway below...

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Clare. I did have my fair share of unpleasantries when I was a teen and I remember the way I felt, but I agree with you that there is something magical about that age. Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.