Saturday, 16 November 2013

Blue's Winter Post

Winter Asylum

Chynna-Blue Scott (a.k.a. Blue - see what I did there with the title?) invited me (in the face, it seems) to write a winter-themed post answering winter-themed questions, so...I'm going to put my own swerve on it. I'm sure Blue will give the swerving 2 thumbs up, complete with blood-red thumbnails.

I'm a November brat, and grew up hating that all my school friends seemed to have summer birthdays where they could have parties outdoors and go rope-swinging through trees and paintballing and shiz like that, but I've grown to love my November birthday. (I don't understand people who hate their birthday because it means getting older. If you didn't have a birthday, you'd still get older, and you wouldn't get a shizload of presents to make up for it.)

Last year, for my 30th birthday, my husband and I went to Florida. Everyone assumed it was because I had issues about the big 3-0, but my only issue was wanting to ride rollercoasters and float around on the Lazy River in the raging heat. And it was GLORIOUS - not only did I get to spend my birthday at Disney World, but when I flew back to the UK at the end of November all the 'it's too soon for Christmas' haters had been silenced by December's imminent arrival. I essentially went from mid-summer to the depths of winter on an 8-hour flight, cutting out that darkening crawl that usually gives me the ughs about Christmas long before Santa has shuffled his buttocks along the gentle slope of my roof.

Despite the lack of Mickey & Co. or even the faintest promise of a log flume, this winter has a lot in store for me that I'm looking forward to. Dark, cold days are perfect for writing, and I'll be making full use of them this year as I have edits and edits and edits to do, then some more edits. And soon my short story Underground will be published in an anthology called PRIMED, which will be my first Real publishing credit and obviously WOOHOO. And, despite the fact that some would call me cynical, I do love the festive season when it's all twinkly and new, and now that I have my zippy camera, I'll be capturing all that twinkliness on my winter adventures in forests and castles and cemeteries and such.

Playing in the snow last winter
[Aside: Because I wanted to have a place where I could post all my favourite adventure photos all together, I now have a tumblr just for that. If you like my pictures, let me know - I'm happy for them to be used on blog posts etc. if you let me know when & where.]

So they're the things I love and am looking forward to about winter. If you'd like to share your own wintry likes, please to share in ze comments.

Snow Kat x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is for winners.