Wednesday, 7 August 2013

I, Reader: THE POISON BOY by Fletcher Moss

I, READER
I was lucky enough to win a signed copy of this book last month from Mr Fletcher Moss himself, and might have squealed a little girlishly upon receipt. You see, I'd had my eye on this one for a while - I loved the premise, the grisly set-up, and Fletcher is a stellar chap when you get chatting to him on twitter, so of course I wanted to read his novel.

Don't forget, you too can win a copy of THE POISON BOY - just leave a comment on this post for a chance to win! - NOW CLOSED

Here is the back cover blurb:



Orphan Dalton Fly, food taster to the rich, has a lucky escape after discovering poisoned wine. But his mate dies horribly, and Dalton wants justice.

Together with Scarlet Dropmore, the high-born girl whose life he saved, he sets out to find the murderers.






Why did this book stand out?

First of all, I'm going to talk about the world-building. It has a historical fantasy setting, with a whole glossary of unfamiliar terms and a geography that requires a map at the start of the book; normally, I'd struggle with this level of world-building (yes, this goes for films with subtitles too. I'm that person.) but the writing is so skillful that it felt very familiar and accessible at the same time. And I do love all the character names - Dalton Fly, Sal Sleepwell, Scarlet Dropmore - how they add another dimension to the characters and the setting, and are so instantly memorable.

The story itself is quite grisly and Dickensian, while at the same time being packed with mystery and suspense that keeps the pace moving along swiftly. Each of the central characters is deftly drawn and likeable, each for different reasons (I don't do spoilering, so I won't say any more about that here), and I enjoyed the friendship which developed and changed between the three of them as the story unfolded.

THE POISON BOY was also the winner of The Times Children's Fiction Competition 2012, so you don't even have to take my word for it - this book is officially top-notch!

**Leave a comment by 8pm GMT on 10th August for your chance to win a copy of THE POISON BOY. One commenter will be chosen at random. Open internationally.** - NOW CLOSED. Thanks to all who entered!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds great, count me in! :)

    "(yes, this goes for films with subtitles too. I'm that person.)"

    *shaking my head at you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!!! The odds are good for me. *comments* *wins*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! This sounds intriguing! My son was asking me today for book recommendations. *Adds to list* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! :) must add to TBR list!!

    *comments* *probably doesn't win* *hopeful face*

    Charli x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all for entering! JC (A.K.A. Much Ado About Nothing) won this time, but there will be another giveaway next month :D

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.