Friday, 12 July 2013

Flash Friday: FIRST SIGHT

FLASH FRIDAY
This flash is a companion piece to one of my stories. The scene is told from the perspective of a character called Eden - I hope you like it! Comments welcome.

For Bridget.


They’d kept him in quarantine longer than usual, and I could see why. He should have passed through the purge system built into the door and come out looking refreshed. He looked like he’d been spat out instead. 

I watched him through the glass barrier of the mezzanine, my fingers wrapped around the guardrail like I was keeping them out of trouble. 

If he noticed the way his sister's hand hovered at his lower back, he didn't show it. She had to be his sister. Had to. Every gesture was protective, shielding him, but she was too young to be his mother. But it was odd; apart from that one thing, he looked so totally aware of what was going on around him, every hum and creak of the community reflected in his face, like an animal kept caged too long. 

I knew how that felt.

“What are you looking at?”

I flinched at the sound of Loki’s voice behind me, knuckles turning white against the metal rail.

“I’m wondering if I should dye my hair like that girl down there. What do you think?” I didn’t want Loki paying any special attention to the new guy, but I’d have lied out of habit anyway. And their hair was such an unusually pale shade of blond, the idea was tempting.

“I think you have more to be worried about than such artifice.” I scowled. He couldn’t turn off being an asshole even for a minute. “Don’t you have a tour group waiting?”

Ever since the community had started letting in outsiders, I’d been stuck leading tour groups around Alteria. I didn’t exactly enjoy it, but it was better than working down in the underwater maintenance decks. That was the punishment they’d given me last time.

I felt Loki move away, and it was the same sense of relief you'd get from taking off a suit of needles. 

The two newcomers were headed for the elevators, probably going to their newly-assigned quarters. He was still sizing up everyone he passed, every thought apparent in his sharp eyes. I willed him to look up, to give me the same scrutiny. The idea was exciting and scary all at once—what if I was judged to be as boring as the rest of my people? Or what if his gaze lingered-

EDEN, by Bridget Shepherd
“Eden!”

I ran to follow Loki, hardly noticing the tingle of the purge system purifying me as I passed through the door to the Rec.

I’d just have to track him down again later. There was something about this new guy, some feeling like everything was about to change, and it was because of him. 

But nobody seemed to realize it, except me. 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It's Mason it's Mason it's Mason!!!!! <3 <3 <3 I love being inside Eden's head! So great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! Glad you liked it :)

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.