Monday, 20 May 2013

Meeting Other Writers

Being a writer in North Wales can sometimes feel a little cut off from the rest of the writing community. Not that there aren't other writers around here - I'm sure there are a few lurking in my neighbourhood. But when compared with the huge (and fabulous) community of writers on twitter, made up of writing tweeps from all around the world, I do feel a bit out on a limb.

But short of moving to London or New York, or starting a writing commune, there are a few ways besides twitter that I can connect with other writers.

Me & Taryn
It was a huge pleasure to meet YA writer Taryn Albright this week when she stopped over in Wales for a couple of days before continuing on her great European adventure. Taryn is an extremely (scarily) savvy writer and editor who is also represented by agent extraordinaire Molly Ker Hawn at The Bent Agency. I had lots of fun showing Taryn some of the local sights, including a few castles, a walled Roman city, and the UK's smallest house.



Conwy Castle

I was also lucky to be invited by the wonderful Dee Romito to join a writerly Google hangout a couple of weeks ago, and got to talk to some of the writing tweeps I've been tweeting my craziness at for the last 18 months. Not that we really talked that much during the hangout - as there were 9 or 10 of us in the group, we mostly just played with the google apps and gave ourselves beards and cat ears while laughing at each other. But it was lots of fun, and I was stoked to get to 'meet' such awesome writer friends for the first time.

Me. Hanging out on Google. As you do.

My next face-to-face writerly event is set to be World Fantasy Con 2013, which is happening in Brighton, England, later this year. I have my ticket, I've almost decided on a hotel, and am looking forward to meeting up with even more writers - especially Marieke Nijkamp, who is probably the most well-traveled writer I've met on twitter, and as sweet as she is ruthless with her critiques!

Have you been to any conferences yet this year? Where else do you meet up with writers?

Are YOU going to WFC2013?


8 comments:

  1. WOOO!! I'm *so* looking forward to meeting you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be able to go and meet other writers at conventions - hopefully one day I'll be able to afford to go! I live in Birmingham, miles away from all of my writer friends, which makes it difficult to meet up! Google hangouts sound like fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hangout was a blast, and I'll definitely be doing it again soon :)

      Delete
  3. I have tried a handful of writer's groups through the years to meet others. It's tough to meet YA writers, though, I've noticed. I will be going to the RWA Seattle chapter conference this fall. And maybe check out a local writer's group next Tuesday. By the way, I'd love to visit you and get the grand tour! :) We eat lots of fish & chips here in Washington, but one of my dreams is to have fish & chips at a British pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you're ever in this neck of the woods, I'd love to show you around (and take you for fish & chips!)

      It's sadly lacking in writers' groups of any kind around here, but I can always rely on my overseas CPs for feedback and support. Twitter was pretty much a lifesaver for me as a writer, and that's where I found my CPs.

      I hope you have a great time at the RWA conference!

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.