Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Gotta Love a Bad Boy

I do love 'em, it's true. Whether I'm watching Ian Smoulder - uh, I mean Somerhalder - as Damon on TVD, or reading about one of the many lovable rogues in YA novels, bad boys will always be my favourite characters.

The 'bad boy' classification is thrown around for quite different character types. You have the troublemaker, the broody control freak, the hardass, the wiseguy - but under it all, there has to be something redeeming. Right? Otherwise they're basically just a douche, and nobody wants to cross that line from dark, sexy bad boy to... well, douche.

And that doesn't mean they can't have done truly terrible, awful things. Look at Damon or Klaus from TVD, for example - got a soft spot for either of them? Hmm? They've both brutally murdered shiz-tons of people, including characters the MC (and the reader/viewer, depending on your medium of choice) cares about. They're both waaaay older than most people's grandparents. I mean, the fact that they look young and hot is kind of irrelevant. They're still old men who prey - literally - on schoolgirls. Yet we love them, and other graduates of the School of Bad Boyism.

How about Cole from Maggie Stiefvater's FOREVER? He's a gifted musician who chooses to live as a wolf after becoming overwhelmed by the sleazier aspects of fame and drug addiction. Dark, charismatic, deeply troubled...my teenage self just swooned.

Then there's the likes of Christophe from Lili St Crow's STRANGE ANGELS series. Another older-guy-in-hot-young-body situation here, not to mention the slight abuse of power as he becomes involved in a love triangle with his mentee and her wolfboy sorta-kinda-boyfriend. Same goes for Dmitri in Richelle Mead's VAMPIRE ACADEMY series - and why the heck did Dmitri become so much hotter when he turned strigoi??

As much as a bad boy needs some redeeming quality (even if it's just that he's got a wicked sense of humour), these are still the boys we wouldn't want to date IRL. At least we wouldn't introduce one to our parents. So why do they appeal so much in YA novels? And yes, I'm only talking about YA, although there are so many I could mention in adult novels. Raphael from Nalini Singh's GUILD HUNTER novels, anyone?? Mmhmm.

The reason I'm focusing on YA is because I get to look at the YA bad boys from both angles. No, not like that. I love to write from a male POV, and my male MCs tend to be - you guessed it - bad boys.

So why do I love bad boys? Why do others love them?

Now here's an out-there theory for you: there are only 2 fundamental character arcs a reader will sympathise with. Either the weak becomes strong, or the bad becomes good. And a well-written bad boy can be either of these.

So, got any thoughts on what makes a great bad boy? Favourites you'd like to share? Want to tear my theory of sympathetic character arcs apart?? Please do!


9 comments:

  1. Love it! Great points, Kat! Bad boys are fun to watch, read and love. Having a fatal flaw or deep seeded problem does often make the character easier to root for off the bat. But sometimes I feel like bad boys are so overused that women assume all bad boys (read: real men with problems) are as changeable and dynamic as book bad boys. And that is often not the case. But hey, they do make for a great story archetype lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so true. I would have more luck training my cat to pull a sled than changing my husband - not that I would ever try to do either, of course... ;)

      Delete
  2. All so true. And I think Dmitri becomes so much hotter when he turns strigoi because he doesn't care about anything anymore, except for Rose. There's nothing to keep them apart, none of the rules he'd set in place for them, anyway.

    Now that I'm all swoony, I'd better get back to work. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - although their forbidden romance was also pretty hot...but then getting down with a strigoi's against the rules too.

      Now that I think about it, the only thing I didn't love about Dmitri was the duster ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes to all of the abovementioned. I don't think I've ever made a secret of the fact that I'm the kind of person that roots for the bad guy. I love villains(Klause, yes please). Even though I know it's inevitable that the villain will never end up the winner, I still want it for him. And that's something that bad boys have for me. They're usually somebody's villain. The MC who received the brunt of his attitude and condescension for a while. Flaunting his disregard at authorities. Sometimes going out of his way to do things he knows will get him into trouble.
    No, he isn't the actual villain, but the smaller things he does aren't necessarily good, which is where the bad part comes in. I love the bad of it all. I love that things aren't clear cut and that all sorts of demons drive the bad boys.

    My bit of rambly bad boy love. Great post, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I agree with you, halfbrain ;) And thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to be daring and go against the grain here. I like characters with flaws, secrets and issues to deal with, but I'm not a big fan of the bad boy archetype. A character can have all of the above and still be "nice", they just deal with their issues in a different way. I guess I'm just the type of girl who will always root for the good guy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhh Clare, you're so healthy in your literary romantic pursuits! That's just dandy, I'll keep all the bad boys for myself ;)

      Delete
    2. I was having this discussion with a friend at lunch time. She's on the bad boy team too. Guess that leaves all the nice guys for me ;-)

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.