Monday, 22 October 2012

YA entry #3 - WHERE THE STAIRCASE ENDS

Name: Stacy Stokes
Title: WHERE THE STAIRCASE ENDS
Genre: YA Supernatural Mystery
Word count: 62,000

Hook:

After her BF destroys her reputation, Taylor’s wish to completely disappear becomes a reality. But instead of an angel-filled afterlife, Taylor must climb a seemingly endless staircase. Her journey plunges her back to the past, and as she unravels the mystery behind her friend’s betrayal she must face the truth about her life and find the strength to forgive the unforgivable.

Line:

I had no idea what it meant, or how snow could fall when there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but one thing was clear: someone was listening to me after all.

Sinker:

I never noticed my pointy elbows. They were thorny things, jutting out from my sides like useless wings. I flattened them against my body. I didn’t want to give anyone yet another reason to avoid me.

It didn’t help.

A line of three girls made an unnecessary show of skirting past me, exchanging smirks with the subtlety of elephants. Once out of view I heard the hiss, hiss, hiss of heated whispers passing between them.

That was her, right? She’s the girl?

I fought the urge to spin around and shoot venom right back at them, but I didn’t want to waste my words on three girls I didn’t care about yesterday. Besides, Sunny was the one who caused this whole mess.

No one was at Sunny’s locker when I passed by. Without the swarm of bodies and hum of morning activity it looked like any other locker in any other hallway. The only sign that it meant something more was the key-scratched heart and initials I carved into the tan paint earlier that year.

I <3 J

My heart lurched. Had Sunny gotten to him, too?

The hallways seemed longer than they had before, twisting labyrinth-like between the classroom wings. Posters hung above archways, their edges curling into the hand painted block letters like they were ashamed of the drips and wrinkles in the imperfect writing announcing the upcoming spring formal. I straightened my shoulders. I would not be like the posters.


**Please remember, only participating agents should comment on these posts for the duration of the contest. Any other comments, including requests from agents who aren't participating in Hook, Line & Sinker, are welcome AFTER the contest closes at 7pm EDT on Wednesday.


1 comment:

  1. Stacy, I requested this prior, so I'm not sure I can request it here. As no decisions have been made from the prior entry, I'd still like to request. It's good stuff.
    If you've made changes, I'd like to see the most up to date work. If you need to get in touch, that's fine. I'm aka_terrie on twitter.

    Thanks,
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.