Monday, 22 October 2012

YA entry #16 - FAKE

Name: Beck Nicholas
Title: FAKE
Genre: YA Contemporary
Word count: 73,000

Hook:

When 16-year-old Kath McKenny is publicly dumped, seducing the boyfriend-stealing new girl with a fake online guy seems like the perfect revenge. Until Kath falls for her victim’s brother. When the new girl goes missing, Kath’s the only one with the answers, but the truth could cost her both her new boyfriend and her deepest secret.

Line:

My humiliation is complete.

Sinker:

The whispers roll across the Tuckersfield High quad like the rustle of rats on a wheel. “new guy… moved here… summer…” I can’t help but lift my sunglasses and turn my head past the trunk of the ancient oak I’m leaning against to see the subject of the murmurs.

Not that there’s a huge range of possibilities. It has to be Sebastian.

He walks like he doesn’t hear them. Eyes straight ahead, neutral expression. Electric blue sneakers, with the laces trailing, scrape across the gravel. His jeans are black and faded to almost the same shade as his gray hooded sweater. His dark brown hair is all mussed like he just ran his hand through it. And I know, even across this distance, his eyes are the exact color of the pine tree whose needles brush my bedroom window.

Eyes looking straight at me.

My breath kind of sticks in my chest and I duck back behind the tree, dragging my glasses down to shield my face. Something about him makes me feel awkward. I lift my hands to smooth my long ponytail before I catch myself. I will not fix my hair for someone I hardly know.

“Kath! What are you hiding here for?”

I look up, into the frowning face of Chayanne Davy, my best friend since I moved here in fourth grade. On my first day she cut my finger in a fight over a piece of purple ribbon. She didn’t do blood and promptly fainted.


**Please remember, only participating agents should comment on these posts for the duration of the contest. Any other comments, including requests from agents who aren't participating in Hook, Line & Sinker, are welcome AFTER the contest closes at 7pm EDT on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I gotta see this! Please paste into the body of your email: your cover letter, synopsis and first three chapters, and send to: Submissions(at)akaliteraryllc(dot)com. In the subject heading please state: HL&S - Requested by Terrie - with your entry number.

    Many thanks,
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved your voice, and would love to request more on behalf of Kent Wolf at Lippincott Massie McQuilkin. Please send your first hundred pages as a Microsoft Word doc, with your query letter pasted into the first page, to amanda [at] lmqlit [dot] com. I look forward to reading your work!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.