Monday, 22 October 2012

YA entry #13 - DAMSELFLY

Name: Jennie Bozic
Title: DAMSELFLY
Genre: YA Sci Fi
Word Count: 69,000

Hook:

In 2065, the Lilliput Project created Lina - the first six-inch-tall winged girl. Now her creators are forcing her to choose between six guys her size on a reality dating show. Problem is, she’s already fallen in love with a boy she met online - only he has no idea that thumbelina1847 could literally fit inside his heart.

Line:

Those girls laughed and talked too easily, as though they’d popped out of the womb with a bachelor’s degree in flirtation.

Sinker:

Today’s objective: outwit Petunia in a lethal game of hide-and-seek.

My reward: George has to make me a fresh batch of tzatziki sauce. Enough for me to swim in.

So far, I’m winning.

Sunlight pours through the waving grass above my head and glazes my skin with sweat. The humidity has frizzed out my blonde hair which now sticks to my arms and back in a truly itchy marriage. I cannot move.  I cannot breathe.

A fly buzzes through the weeds and lands on my shoulder and I close my eyes as he wraps his feelers around my arm. Normally I’d give him a smack he wouldn’t soon forget, but I can’t afford to now. I have to let him check me out with his creepy eyes and hope I don’t have nightmares tonight.

He finishes tasting me with his feet and flies off to find something more appetizing. On his way, he knocks into the stem of a wildflower and I wince even though the plant barely moves.

Petunia is gliding above me in slow, patient circles, her beady eyes searching for signs of movement along the ground. She’s looking for rodents, small birds, maybe even a dragonfly. And me. A slight breeze passes through the grass and I will my blue damselfly wings to remain motionless.

I slide aside the blade of grass blocking my view and rise on tiptoe - slowly as a sprouting seed - to check how far I am from safety. About one hundred feet away, a red arrow dangles from a wire and points toward a section of pipe sticking out of the ground.


**Please remember, only participating agents should comment on these posts for the duration of the contest. Any other comments, including requests from agents who aren't participating in Hook, Line & Sinker, are welcome AFTER the contest closes at 7pm EDT on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm drawn in, not quite hooked or lined or sunk, but I have a feeling that will change! Please send more. Please paste into the body of your email: your cover letter, synopsis and first three chapters, and send to: Submissions(at)akaliteraryllc(dot)com. In the subject heading please state: HL&S - Requested by Terrie - with your entry number.

    Many thanks, and know that tzatiki cures all things!
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.