Friday, 26 October 2012

Happy Halloween! (Yes, I know it's early...)



So, I'm a few days early - but this is because Megan Whitmer is hopping onto my blog on 31st October - and she just happens to be so UTTERLY AWESOME that she gets to have her birthday on Halloween, too! (I applied, but was relegated to November 11th. Meh.)

With the spookfest looming, I thought I'd share my top 10 favourite spookalicious movies with you...

#1 - First spot goes to It. Yes, that movie. The one with Pennywise, the creepiest, freakiest clown haunting a storm gutter near you. Don't forget - "They ALL float down here!" *shudder*


#2 - Aliens is next up, not least because the scene where Bishop crawls into that narrow pipe which is potentially full of alien monsters is the stuff of my nightmares.

#3 - Paranormal Activity - SHE WATCHES HIM SLEEP. WHILE ROCKING BACK AND FORTH. In fact, any of the Paranormal Activity franchise freak me the freak out. So.

#4 - The Descent - underground freaks who eat human flesh hunt a group of women who have gone caving and end up trapped.

#5 - Creep - trapped inside The London Underground alone and at night, a young woman finds more than just rats waiting for her...

#6 - The Ring (Ringu) - the original Japanese version has a slight edge over the US remake for me. It managed to scare the crap out of me even while I was reading the subtitles. I think it's the jerky-movement filming and dark, creepy atmosphere of the film which had me like this: O_O especially at this scene (the one I think the remake did slightly better than the original)...



#7 - 28 Days Later. It's not the gore of this film that makes it scary, but the true-to-life aspect. Seeing the familiar landscape of London as a zombie-infested wasteland did something a little heart-racy to me.

#8 - Cube - think Saw, but even more of a mind-bender. It's a little gory, too, and I loved the rats-in-a-maze premise.

#9 - A Nightmare on Elm Street - this classic used to scare the bejeebus out of me as a kid (and no, I probably shouldn't have been allowed to watch it then!) It's the blade-hands that leave me in a cold sweat, and that creepy sing-song nursery rhyme which tells you Freddie's coming!

#10 - Last but not least, it's Silence of the Lambs. Even with all the murdery goings on in the film, it's still the barely contained psychopathic cannibal, Hannibal Lecter, who steals the show. "Hello, Clareeeeeece..."

What are your favourite spooky, creepy or downright scary movies? SHARE!

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree on 28 Days Later - I haven't seen Creep and not sure I can. Having to take the tube every day, seeing Creep might be a step too far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's definitely scarier when the film is set somewhere familiar.

      Delete
  2. Ha, I'm a chicken and don't watch horror movies.
    Maybe because back in 2000, I watched The Blair Project with a few friends and, when I woke up the next morning, there were white stones outside my bedroom window! One of my friends did that! Can you believe it? I almost killed him lol
    I watched a few, of course, but I try not to, because I know I won't sleep for a few days LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's an awesome prank (the kind I wish I'd thought of).

      My dad used to let me watch really gory horror films (like Puppetmaster, Hellraiser etc.) when I was pretty young, so I think it kind of desensitized me to the goriness. For me, the scariest films are the ones where you don't actually see it coming ;)

      Delete
  3. It and Silence of the Lambs are some of mine. But I also have to mention The Shining. I was eleven when my mother, by some amazing lapse of judgement, decided to let me watch it. I haven't been able to look at hotels the same way since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss The Shining?! Good call - I'll make that an honorary #11 :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with Juliana. I don't like horror movies, either. My dad used to collect old movies and run them on a projector. I remember as a kid watching the old horror flicks like Bride of Frankenstein, Creature of the Black Lagoon and Abbott and Costello meet Dracula (?) on Halloween. Those are the ones I like to watch. Old-fashioned and not too creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the classics too (in fact, I'm pretty much a horror junkie, no matter its form...)

      I can't remember whether it was Bride of Frankenstein or another film with the same premise, but I loved this one scene where Frankenstein's newest creation explains why she screams at a domestic cat: "I thought it was a tiny lion. I was scared."

      Delete
  5. 11/11 is a pretty cool birthday too!
    I was super creeped out with Don't Look Now. with June Christy & Dinald Sutherland. 1973. I still am! It's a beautiful creepy film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I loved that one! I remember being all "This is kinda creepy, but I don't see what's so scary about...AAAAH! IT'S A DWARF WITH A KNIFE!!!"

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.