Monday, 3 September 2012

TMI Monday - Slush and the Feral Writer

Ordinarily I give you 6 randomisms from my week for TMI Monday, but this week has been purely about the writing: working on my new MS, and reading through stacks of entries for Pitch Madness. So this week, I give you only TWO.

SLUSH...(seems like a green word, right?) I was lucky enough to be picked by Brenda Drake to read the slush for the latest Pitch Madness contest, along with 5 other slushers you can read about here (I'm in GREAT company!) I'll write a post about the whole experience after the contest, but for now I just want to say how FANTASTIC the entries have been so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing who goes through to the agent round. I know how much effort goes into writing every word of every manuscript, pitch and query. I also know it takes guts to put your work out there by entering a contest like Pitch Madness, so I'm rooting for everyone who goes through to get ALL the requests! Check out the #PitchMadness hashtag on twitter if you'd like to read some of my tweets and tweets from the rest of the slush readers.

FERAL WRITER...I took last week off the day job to make some progress on my WIP. I'd set myself the goal of hitting 40k by Sunday night (last night). I did not hit it, but I did write 35k and (as I may have mentioned already...) read a rather substantial amount of slush. So I'm calling this a win, seeing as I started my week off with only 8k in the writing bank.

What I was most surprised by this week was how quickly I turned into some feral writing creature, occupying the couch in sweatpants and no make-up. It got to the point where I had to leave the house on Saturday and SEE PEOPLE and I'd forgotten how to apply my make-up altogether. I went out looking like I'd been attacked by graffiti bandits. But it was all in the name of writing, right?

Honestly, I needed this last week to concentrate on my writing. I'd hit a major wall trying to multitask too many things - writing, revision on another MS, beta reading, as well as blogging, tweeting, and all the other little Time Eaters a writer has to deal with. This was why I let my CPs know a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be reading for a while, and why I booked the time away from my day job (yes, I love that my day job falls into the category of Time Eater.) And now that I'm back into the writing swing, I can slowly let those other things back in. Gradually.

So this is what my week has been about. Happy Monday!


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha Graffiti Bandits. Good job on the productive days off. Sometimes getting a day off can be used as a breather from everything - which is fine, but not productive in the long run. I don't envy you ladies culling the slush pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Feaky. To be honest, I had a lot of fun reading and tweeting the slush, even though it was tough to choose with so many fantastic entries! I definitely learned heaps from doing it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you hit 35k!! That is so great!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.