Wednesday, 8 August 2012

In the Write Headspace

My husband - E (this is his name, 'tis true) - has very graciously given over full use of the spare room to my writing. This is no small thing, seeing as I've been dreaming of having my very own writing space for a serious amount of time. He asked me exactly what I'd like to do with it - the furniture, the decor, the lighting and all those tiny details, and I think my head imploded with glee. I have ALL THE IDEAS.

I've been imagining The Perfect Writing Space since I first started writing. These have varied, and could probably be brought together in one amazing place (if I lived in Narnia. Or Hogwarts.)

The Treehouse: a real Swiss Family Robinson-style treehouse, hidden high in the branches of a forbidding and gnarly old tree. With heating and wi-fi, of course. There would also need to be a rocking chair, and I would live up there like a tree hobbit.

The Turret: like the ones in really old castles. There's a hexagonal room in Penrhyn Castle (pictured) just down the coast from where I live that I've been in love with since I was a little girl. It used to be the room the ladies would retire to after a posh supper, leaving the gents to their port and cigars in the billiard room. Also, it has pretty spectacular views for gazing over wistfully.


The Secret Attic: this must be reached via the hidden staircase inside an old closet, of course. And have one circular window. And no spiders.

The Summer House: a little wooden hut overlooking a lake, with a stately home off in the distance and the waft of a pot of fresh coffee on the wood-burning stove in the corner. Yeah, somewhere like this.


The Cupboard Under the Stairs: the small, windowless little cubby with barely enough room to curl up with the laptop and air that will smell like breath within ten minutes. Yeah, I'm not quite sure why this appeals to me either. Especially as I have no stairs.

The Lighthouse: isolated, windswept and overlooking the sea. Perfect place for thinking all the thoughts and having all the feelings, no? Failing a lighthouse, a helter-skelter will do.


Of course, my spare room is going to be a bit of a tight fit for most of these, so I'll have to freestyle a bit. But there will be an old-fashioned lamp, the most comfortable sink-hole armchair you've ever seen in your life, and thick, dark curtains. And probably fairy lights.

Where would your Perfect Writing Place be?

3 comments:

  1. I am jealous!! As Virginia Woolf said, "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." I've attempted to turn my corner of our apartment into my own "room", but I look forward with glee to a time when I'll have my own writing room. My needs are mostly utilitarian, I want somewhere where I won't be disturbed by noises or people moving around. I want a nicer desk where my legs don't feel cramped. I'd also like a secondary desk where I could go with papers if I feel like going Luddite. It'd be nice if it had an inviting look to it too. That's pretty much it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, more realistic dreams are more likely to be achieved! I seem to have a fascination with Secret places that's stayed with me since I read The Secret Garden and Tom's Midnight Garden and of course The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as a kid. If I'd been Alice, I'd have beaten that bloody rabbit down the hole ;)

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of secret places too! I think in my brain though, I don't go there to write, I go there to have adventures/romance. Like, I could go for a cottage by a lake as a second honeymoon ;)

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.