Tuesday, 28 August 2012

An interview with EARTH ANGEL author Ruth Ellen Parlour

Ruth Ellen Parlour
Welcome Ruth Ellen Parlour, author of the brand new YA fantasy EARTH ANGEL, to my blog as part of her blog tour.

As I knew Ruth would be swinging by, I prepared a few questions for her...

First of all, tell us a bit about Earth Angel.

Earth Angel is a young adult fantasy set in a fictional world. The main theme is Free Will Vs Fate as the main characters struggle against what the Gods have decided for them. It follows a few plot lines and some very different perspectives. Gabrielle is a prisoner, committed for murder, whereas Faith is a well-off young woman. Every character has their own motives which come into play as they all fight to protect their country from an invading army.

What inspired you to write Earth Angel?

Read the first chapter here
Earth Angel has been a long-running project. The core concept of the Angels was the first germ of an idea – people who could summon fantastical beasts. The plot and characters stemmed from that idea and gradually I’ve been building my world over the years, interweaving the different plots and characters to form a whole novel. My first inspiration was the Final Fantasy computer games and my list of inspirations has been growing ever since!

What is your favourite part of the book?

Without giving away spoilers? I love the characters, a few in particular. Some of them have great secrets which they reveal in the story. I love those intimate moments when the secret is coerced from them and the characters can reveal their true colours.

What was the hardest part to write?

Probably the last few chapters. It’s where the story and all the characters come together so there’s a lot of different perspectives running parallel. I had to make sure I wasn’t mixing them up too much, that I kept the pace right and didn’t repeat things too much!

What made you decide to self-publish?

I tried the traditional route and sent about 10 queries off. I had done a lot of research into e-publishing and I was really enthusiastic about it. I got impatient waiting for replies from agents, so prepared it to publish myself. I could get my novel out into the world, start earning from it and carry on writing more books instead of waiting for rejections coming in the post! Also I could design my own book cover which was so much fun. Having your book published traditionally isn’t a guarantee anyway, because if it doesn’t sell well enough they get taken off the shelves. Ebooks stay on the virtual shelf for as long as the author leaves them there.

What’s your writing process? Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I’m a very rough plotter. I always plot in my head first, then I write a very brief plot line of the key events that happen throughout the book. I do quite a bit of world and character building on paper, I think I get to know them better that way. Then I write whatever comes to me and fill in the blanks!

What are you working on next?

I’m currently editing the first draft of my second book, God Slayer, which is going to be a spin-off trilogy from Earth Angel, starring one of the more minor characters. I have 4 books planned for the Earth Angel series as well as the trilogy. I’m going to do my best to make them stand-alones so we’ll see how far I get through them. 

Which authors have inspired you, now and when you were a teen?

I love Holly Lisle. Talyn was the first book of hers I read and remains my favourite. I learned a lot from her workshops, tips and courses and still use the techniques I learned there. When I was a teen I loved Jeffrey Deaver and Dan Brown. I loved to be thrilled and surprised with plot and character (and still do!) I was always awed by the depth of knowledge the books went into and they never failed to surprise me. (I realise none of them are YA but I read more adult books when I was a teen!) I loved Phillip Pullman when I was a teenager and devoured His Dark Materials trilogy. He’s a writer that has never failed to make me cry! I loved the characters, the world and the plot he created.  

Who is your all time favourite YA character?

That’s really hard! I think I’m torn between Katniss and Lyra. I’m a big fan of strong women and Katniss is obviously really cool but I like the feistiness of Lyra from His Dark Materials and her bravery too.

I have a theory that all writers want a ‘secret’ place to write – secret attic, treehouse, room behind a hidden wall panel…where would yours be?

I’ve never given it much thought but it sounds amazing. I’m an interior designer so I’d love to create my own personal writing space. It would have to have an amazingly comfy arm chair, lots of natural light overlooking a green landscape and be warm and cosy and quiet! I’d love to be surrounded by books and my favourite art and of course, have my rabbit at my feet. A nice garden too so I could go outside to write if the weather was nice.

What 3 things do you need to put you in a writing frame of mind?

A cup of tea, peace and quiet (peace and quiet is all one thing right?!) and a comfy chair. A decent night's sleep would help, too, as I write best first thing in the morning.


If you have any comments or questions for Ruth, please add them in the comments section below. Or, if would like to find out more about Ruth and her writing, you can visit her website: www.ruthellenparlour.com and blog: www.ruthparlourdesign.wordpress.com

I also highly recommend you catch up with Ruth (@RuthEParlour) on twitter.

EARTH ANGEL is available to buy now from:

Amazon for £1.53/$2.99

Smashwords for $2.99

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read, Ruth. Good luck with your launch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lyra too :) Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much! And thanks for hosting me Kat, the new blog looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping at my blog - and I'm glad you like the new look! :)

      Delete

Commenting is for winners.