Thursday, 3 May 2012

Misty Provencher's CORNERSTONE hops onto my blog...

Happy Paranormal Day!

I'd like to welcome the awesome MISTY PROVENCHER to my humble blog as a stop on her tour of the blogiverse to celebrate all things CORNERSTONE.

So, first of all, a little fangirling... Misty is as awesome twitter pal, a freakin' amazing writer, and wholly responsible for a number of crazy twitter adventures since I stumbled blinking like a fawn onto twitter last year. Then there's Cornerstone, and Garrett... *dreamy sigh*

So, let's get this show on the road! My tip-o'-the-hat is taking the form of a review of Misty's awesome novel.

The blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Nalena Maxwell, known as The Waste at her school, has received a sign to join an ancient community. She'd know that, if it wasn't the wrong dang sign. But Garrett Reese, the school's most popular athlete and a boy with eyes as clean as Jesus, knows exactly what Nalena is and he knows all about the family skeletons that are about to come crashing into her life...


My review:

I'd heard a lot of good things about Cornerstone before I began reading, and Misty had been putting up a chapter a week on her blog before e-pubbing on Smashwords, so I had an idea that it was going to be good. I did NOT realise just how good!

Nalena is such a great main character, I fell in love with her from chapter 1. I also have to say that the first chapter is probably the best first chapter I've read in any book in recent years - you get so drawn into Nali's paper-filled world with her unusual mother and her horrible treatment at school. I think chapter 1 could easily stand as a short story in its own right, it's THAT engrossing.

Then there's Garrett... oh hell, he's just awesomeness incarnate - without being overly sentimental or afraid of what people think of him or any of the other cheesy things that are an automatic turn-off for me with some male love interests in YA novels. But even the peripheral characters - the good, the bad and the snotty-nosed - are well-developed and just continued to suck me into the story.

It's fast-paced, with action and mystery and romance and all the other good stuff you want in a good YA read, and before I knew it I'd stormed right through Cornerstone and am now left with a slightly unhinged compulsion to nag Misty Provencher until she gives me book 2... okay, maybe I'll try to rein that in a bit!

Definitely the best YA debut I've read in a long, long time, and I can't say how happy I am to have Garrett as daydream-fodder for the next few months until Cornerstone 2!

Not bought Cornerstone yet? WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS?? Here, I'll cover for you while you go get your copy...

Available in paperback and ebook at: 

4 comments:

  1. You are my sister from another mother, Kat. I can't thank you enough for getting behind Cornerstone the way you have - I enjoy you mostest. Thanks for everything...oh, AND I LOVE YOUR DUDE, PILOT (and SIN)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty One! Love your dudes too :)

      Delete
  2. Thought I'd pop in and say hi to Misty and show my support! Let the blog train roll on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic. Definitely going to have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.