Thursday, 22 March 2012

Writing Notes

Music has always been a big influence on my writing. I know I'm not alone in this - lots of writers are eager to post playlists for their current WIP or published work. And I will no doubt post a list of songs to accompany my book - if and when it gets published...

But in the meantime, I find myself listening over and over again to one of the songs that has influenced Purge. I'm going to be specific here - the rewriting of Purge, since I originally drafted it 2 or 3 years ago. Obviously, I was listening to different music then than I am now, because I am a music JUNKIE. But one song has really had an impact on the tone of the rewrites and the finished manuscript as a whole - here it is:


This, if pushed, would be the song I'd hold up as defining Purge for me. I'd add about 20 others to it in a real playlist, but as a headliner - this is it. There's a forlorn, desolate quality to it that perfectly sums up part of the novel, but there's still an upbeatness to it (yes, I can make up words - it's my blog), and I absolutely love the line: "I never knew daylight could be so violent..." *Sigh* This song is just all kinds of perfect for Purge.  

So, which song defines your story? Or which one will always make you get that feeling you had when the idea for your novel first exploded inside your head? I'd love to hear.



2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool song... In fact I love all Florence and the Machine songs:) Hmm for me there are so many songs I associate with my novel, and they keep changing. Right now it has to be Born To Die by Lana Del Rey:)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.