Sunday, 2 October 2011

The Subtle Art of Procrastination

I imagine if you're reading this, you also spend a lot of time writing. I spend a LOT of time "writing", which is probably only 60% actual writing, and 40% good ole procrastination. Here are my tips on how to do the latter really, really well...

1. Reward your hard work with regular coffee/donut/cigarette/nap breaks. About every 30 minutes should do the trick.

2. Make sure you have your Twitter feed open. Whenever you have a maximum of 5 new tweets, be sure to check it out. (Going to go and do that now, just because I got points 1 & 2 down.)

3. Go surfing the internet every hour or so in the name of 'research'.

4. Suddenly remember the 1001 other things you're neglecting by setting aside time to write, and guilt yourself into doing a few of them. You know, spending time with the kids, paying the mortgage, feeding the cat - all that stuff.

5. Last but not least, make sure you work with the TV on in the background. You'd be amazed how well you can procrastinate with the white noise box lending a hand. Daytime TV shows are particularly good procrastination-fodder.

Thanks for reading what has actually been my own little procrastination escapade... so I suppose blogging should really be point 6. But you get the point.

Happy procrastinating!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I excel at #4! And #1. In fact, I just deployed useful tip #1. (The chocolate chip cookie was tasty!)

    Hehe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is for winners.